• If you’re planning a trip to Hollywood next summer, you might want to make a stop at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Not only can you visit the graves of such stars as Rudolph Valentino, Jayne Mansfield and Douglas Fairbanks (both Sr. and Jr.), but in the summer you also can picnic there while watching classic movies.
• You might be surprised to learn that eggplants have fairly high levels of nicotine.
• You may have heard that painting your kitchen red or yellow can help stimulate your appetite, while painting it blue can help suppress it. The kitchen isn’t the only living area in which color research has been done, though; those who study such things say that those who sleep in yellow bedrooms get an average of 7.7 hours of sleep per night, while those in purple bedrooms sleep only 5.9 hours per night on average.
• Penn Jillette, of the magic team of Penn and Teller, has a son named Zolten Penn Jillette and a daughter named Moxie CrimeFighter Jillette.
• Those of you who are pregnant might want to take note of some old superstitions: It was once thought that hiding a knife under the mattress of a laboring woman would cut the birth pains. Also, unlocking all the doors in the house and tying knots in the curtains were believed to guarantee an easy delivery. (Just don’t try these in the hospital.)
• Thought for the Day: “Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don’t mean to do harm, but the harm does not interest them.” — T.S. Eliot