• Jon Bon Jovi is probably best known for his eponymous ’80s hair band, but he’s also quite a philanthropist, working on behalf of organizations including the Special Olympics, the American Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity. In 2011, the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation opened a restaurant called JBJ Soul Kitchen, in which patrons pay only what they can afford, or can even volunteer in lieu of payment.
• Those who study such things say that all mammals, from rodents to elephants, urinate for approximately 21 seconds. This now is known as the “Law of Urination.”
• A poll conducted by Gallup determined that 42 percent of Americans believe that people are sometimes possessed by the devil.
• Scientists unearthed frozen 30,000-year-old plant tissue from fossil squirrel burrows in northeaster Siberia. This would not be remarkable, except for what came next: Researchers thawed the seeds and planted them. The seeds germinated and grew, producing viable seeds of their own, making Silene stenophylla the oldest viable multicellular living organisms.
• If you die without any friends or family to attend your funeral, Amsterdam is apparently the place to do it. In that city, a civil servant will provide flowers and a poet will compose a eulogy in verse for those who would otherwise make an unaccompanied and unmourned final journey.
• If you leave a cold glass on a table, it’s likely to leave a mark. The Italians (of course) have a word for that mark: cualacino.
Thought for the Day: “The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows.” — Aristotle Onassis