• Unlike humans, birds see everything in focus all the time.
• You might be surprised to learn that the bagpipe did not originate in Scotland. This ancient instrument existed in Asia in the pre-Christian era. Those who study such things say that the Emperor Nero was a bagpiper, even performing publicly at Roman athletic events.
• Sharks have existed for 50 million years longer than trees.
• From ancient times in China up until the 19th century, the upper classes considered very long fingernails to be beautiful and a mark of distinction, indicating that one with such long nails never had to perform manual labor. Cracking was a problem with these long nails, though, as they sometimes were grown in excess of 2 inches long. To combat the problem, the ruling classes would wear special gold and silver covers on their nails.
• Even cows have best friends, and they will spend most of their time together.
• In a single year, your heart circulates about a million gallons of blood.
• You almost certainly have a Social Security number, but did you ever wonder what the numbers mean? The first three numbers indicate what part of the country you were in when you applied (or when your parents applied for you), the next two numbers are a code indicating the year of your application, and the last four numbers are considered to be your citizen’s number.
Thought for the Day: “I and the public know. / What all schoolchildren learn. / Those to whom evil is done. / Do evil in return.” — W.H. Auden