Tooele Transcript Bulletin – News in Tooele, Utah

July 7, 2014
2014 – 27

Emotocon 9• It was English poet Martin Farquhar Tupper who made the following sage observation: “Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.”

• If you’re in the neighborhood of Bessemer, Alabama, you might want to stop in its Hall of History. Though the connection to local history isn’t clear, Hitler’s typewriter is on display to curious onlookers.

• You may be among those people who think good deeds and selfless acts are on the decline. If so, consider this story: In 2010, an employee at a recycling company came across 23 U.S. savings bonds while sorting through a bin of discarded papers. Instead of trying to cash the $22,000 worth of bonds himself, Mike Rodgers decided to track down the owner. It turned out that the woman who had bought the bonds, Martha Dobbins, had been dead for almost two decades. Rodgers didn’t give up, though; he began a search for Robert Roberts, who was also named on the bonds. Though the name is common and Rodgers hit many dead ends, he eventually located the correct Robert Roberts, the son of Martha Dobbins. Roberts hadn’t even been aware of the bonds’ existence. Rodgers, his good deed finally being done, refused a reward.

• The next time you look out the window and see banks of freshly fallen snow, remember that only about 8 percent of that fluffy whiteness is actually water; the remaining 92 percent is air.

• During the course of filming all eight Harry Potter movies, actor Daniel Radcliffe went through 160 pairs of glasses and 70 magic wands.
Thought for the Day: “Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: All of them make me laugh.” — W.H. Auden

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>