• Those who study such things say that penguins are ticklish.
• On the whole, Texas is a good bit hotter than Ohio, wouldn’t you think? You might be surprised to learn, then, that on a per capita basis, Cleveland has 42 times as many swimming pools as Fort Worth.
• The 21 Club is a posh New York restaurant that has been in operation since 1922, though it has undergone some changes since its early days. The eatery’s policy prohibiting women from wearing pants to dine didn’t change until 1969. That was the year when “Laugh-In” actress Judy Carne entered wearing what has been described as a “tunic-topped pants suit.” When she was told she wouldn’t be allowed to dine, she took off her pants and left them in the coat-check room. The tunic by itself just barely qualified as a micro-mini, but it was enough. The 21 Club changed its policy the next day.
• Smiling is a natural human instinct. Even people who have been blind since birth smile when they’re happy.
• Ireland has the distinction of being the first nation in the world that had one woman succeed another woman as head of state, when, in 1997, Mary MacAleese was elected president after Mary Robinson served in that position.
• During World War I, the opposing armies called a truce to celebrate Christmas 1914. During the truce, a group of German soldiers and a group of British soldiers met in the no-man’s land between the opposing trenches to play a soccer match.
Thought for the Day: “Forever is composed of nows.” — Emily Dickinson