Now that redistricting is finished and the 2012 Legislative session is winding down, it’s time to start thinking about elections.
The first step in the elections process is filing for office and caucus meetings. Filing for office is open March 9 through 15, weekdays only, in the Clerk’s Office. (On Friday, March 9, the Clerk’s Office will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
The offices up for election in Tooele County this year are: State House of Representatives Districts 21 and 68, Tooele County Commission (one seat), Tooele County School Board Districts 1, 2, 3 and 4, special service district board positions (you must live within the district boundaries), North Tooele County Fire District, South Rim Special Service District and township positions for the Erda Township Planning Commission and Pine Canyon Township Planning Commission (you must live in the township). For a full list of all of the offices open this election season with the filing fees, please go to the Clerk’s website.
In order to attend the correct caucus meeting, you will need to know your precinct and party. You may check on both by going to the Clerk’s website at www.co.tooele.ut.us/clerk. htm. Click on the red “vote” link. This will take you to the state website. Click on “Find my Caucus Location” in the right-hand column. You will be asked for your name, birth date, house number and county. This screen will tell you your precinct, which party you are affiliated with and the location of your caucus meeting.
Democratic Party caucus meetings will be on March 13 at 6 p.m. at the following locations:
• Erda, Lake Point, Stansbury Park: Stansbury Park Clubhouse, 1 Country Club Drive, Stansbury Park
• Grantsville: Grantsville Senior Citizens Center, 120 S. Center Street, Grantsville
• Tooele, Pine Canyon: Tooele County Building Auditorium, 47 S. Main, Tooele
• Rush Valley, Vernon, Dugway, Stockton: Stockton Fire Station, 207 N. Connor Ave., Stockton
Republican Party caucus meetings will be on March 15 at 7 p.m. at the following locations:
• Dugway/Terra: Terra Fire Station, 8300 W. Terra Park Street, Terra
• Erda 1, 2: Stansbury Park High School, 5300 N. Aberdeen Lane, Stansbury Park
• Grantsville 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6: Grantsville Junior High, 318 S. Hale, Grantsville
• Lake Point 1, 2 : Beehive Broadband, 2000 E. Sunset Road, Lake Point
• Lincoln: Wright home, 2388 Churchwood Drive, Lincoln • Rush Valley: Town Hall, 52 S. Park Street, Rush Valley
• Stansbury Park 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7: Stansbury Park High School, 5300 N. Aberdeen Lane, Stansbury Park
• Stockton/Ophir: Stockton Fire Station, 207 N. Connor Ave., Stockton
• Tooele 1: Blue Peak High School, 211 S. Tooele Blvd., Tooele
• Tooele 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13: Middle Canyon Elementary, 751 E. 1000 N., Tooele
• Tooele 6, 16, 18: Northlake Elementary, 268 N. Coleman, Tooele
• Tooele 14, 15: Overlake Elementary, 2052 N. 170 W., Tooele
• Tooele 17, 19, 20, 21: Blue Peak High School, 211 S. Tooele Blvd., Tooele
• Vernon: Vernon Elementary, 70 N. Main Street, Vernon
• Wendover/Ibapah: Castagno home, 576 N. Vista Drive, Wendover
To find out about other Democratic Party caucus locations, call Rick Pollock at 277-0336. To find out about Constitution Party caucus meetings, call Kirk Pearson at (801) 856-1471.