For cooks who like to do as much as possible ahead, chicken enchiladas is the ideal dish.!It can be assembled in advance, covered with foil and refrigerated.!Brought to room temperature before it goes into the oven, it soon emerges with melty cheese and bubbling hot sauce.
Green chili sauce, called salsa verde (green in Spanish), is the sauce we like to use for making chicken enchiladas.!In Mexican cooking, where green sauce is popular, it’s made with husked tomatillos, onion, garlic and chile peppers.!Here, we’ve simplified the recipe by using canned enchilada sauce, available in mild and hot versions, and adding diced onion, sliced mushrooms and fresh cilantro.!
To make the dish even easier, we shredded store-bought rotisserie chicken for the filling.!Once the filling is made, the tortillas can be filled and rolled quickly.!The enchiladas should be arranged close together in a single layer in the baking dish.!
If there are any leftover enchiladas, they freeze well.! Place them, along with any leftover sauce, in a microwave-safe dish.!Defrost in the refrigerator and heat in the microwave.
Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili Mushroom Sauce
Nonstick cooking spray
1 recipe Green Chili Mushroom Sauce
3 cups (12ounces) shredded cooked chicken
1 1/2 cups (6ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
2 plum tomatoes, diced
Thinly sliced green onion
Chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Spread 1/2 cup Green Chile Mushroom Sauce in a thin layer on bottom of prepared pan.
3. Combine chicken and 1 cup cheese in a large bowl. Spread about 1/2 cup chicken mixture just below center of a tortilla, roll up tightly and place, seam side down, in pan. Repeat with remaining chicken mixture and tortillas. Pour remaining sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
4. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes. Transfer to serving plates and top with tomato, green onion and cilantro. Serves 4.
Per serving: 720 calories, 32g fat, 110mg chol., 45g prot., 61g carbs., 3g fiber, 1750mg sodium
Green Chile Mushroom Sauce
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup diced onion
20 ounces green chili enchilada sauce (Herdez brand)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Combine enchilada sauce, mushroom mixture and cilantro in a medium bowl.
Photo by Mark Boughton Photography / styling: Teresa Blackburn