A few days after Fourth of July, the Wasatch Front area, including Tooele County, was placed under fire restrictions.
The restrictions, which went into effect on July 6, affect all unincorporated private land within Tooele County, according to Tooele County Fire Warden Daniel Walton. As a result of the restrictions, fireworks will not be able to be used for Pioneer Day celebrations in Stansbury Park, Lake Point and other unincorporated areas.
Other activities prohibited under the fire restrictions include setting open fires except in designated areas such as improved campgrounds, picnic areas or home sites with access to running water; smoking near dry vegetation, using a motorcycle, ATV, chainsaw or other device with an internal combustion engine without an approved spark arrestor; and cutting, welding or grinding metal near dry vegetation.
Any violation of the fire restriction order is a violation of state law and could result in up to six months in jail and a fine of $1,000. The fire restrictions do not apply to private land within incorporated town or city limits.
Despite dry conditions and high heat, Walton said there were less fire-related calls than expected on Fourth of July.
There were five fires caused by fireworks, all of which occurred in Tooele City, according to Walton. The fires, including a structure fire, were all quickly suppressed by the Tooele City Fire Department.
Firefighters also responded to an off-highway vehicle that caught fire at Five Mile Pass on July 4, according to Walton. The driver and passenger were injured in the fire but are expected to recover; the fire was contained to half an acre.
Another fire the same day was caused by an illegal debris burn in Terra gone wrong, Walton said. The landowner did not have a burn permit and was attempting the debris burn during the closed fire season under a red flag warning.
The landowner had hoses ready and was able to prevent the fire from leaving his property onto adjacent Bureau of Land Management land, according to Walton. The landowner was charged with misdemeanor burning without a permit and will be sent an invoice for the cost of the fire response.