Tooele Transcript Bulletin – News in Tooele, Utah

August 20, 2019
Fires burns two homes in remote Gold Hill

A fire caused by an unattended burn barrel burned two homes and an outbuilding last Thursday in Gold Hill, according to fire officials. 

The fire in the remote community northeast of Ibapah was first reported at 3:20 p.m. on Aug. 15 at 7121 N. Main St., according to Tooele County Fire Warden Daniel Walton. The blaze grew to 5.5 acres on private land before it was ruled contained at 8:15 p.m. 

While the fire was active, it damaged a permanent residence, a seasonal residence, two historic buildings and an outbuilding, according to Walton. One person was displaced as a result of the fire. 

Resources from the Wendover City and Ibapah fire departments, along with engines from the Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service responded to the fire. Also on scene were a helicopter and two water tenders from BLM, an air supervision platform, a state of Utah fire engine, a fire investigator and a Tooele County Sheriff’s deputy. 

The cause of the fire was determined to be an unattended burn barrel and the responsible party was cited for reckless burning with no burn permit, according to Walton. The estimated fire suppression costs were $20,000, while the cost of damaged infrastructure was unavailable at press time Tuesday morning. 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>