Tooele Transcript Bulletin – News in Tooele, Utah

April 26, 2023
In 1948, woman stabbed to death by estranged husband at TOD Park

The Tooele Transcript Bulletin has published Tooele County news since 1894. Here is a flashback of local front-page news from 25, 50, 75 and 100 years ago that occurred during the fourth week of April. 

April 28-30, 1998

Tooele resident Jon McCartney spearheaded a move to replace a giant American flag flying on the northside of Tooele near state Route 36. The flag measured 50 feet across and was 30 feet in length, attached to a 100-foot-high pole. 

“I think people get pretty sentimental when they see that big flag,” said developer Nate Brockbank, who installed the pole and flag.

The flag, however, had become tattered and torn with exposure to the wind, rain, snow and sun.

McCartney asked Brockbank if he might help and McCartney found out it cost $1,800 to replace the flag and it needed to be replaced twice a year. Tooele County, Tooele City and Tooele County Chamber of Commerce all provided funds to purchase a new flag.

Later in the week, Democratic candidates for Tooele County Commission seat B had stopped smiling at one another.

Candidate Vicki Griffith had been accused of bloating the delegate list with ineligible allies. She accused incumbent candidate Lois McArthur of also not following the rules.

April 24-27, 1973

A small groundbreaking ceremony would signal the start of “Operation Progress” which could become the most significant project undertaken in 1973 by Tooele City.

First phase of the long awaited redevelopment program for the city’s downtown district would provide new curbs, gutters and sidewalks along with extensive landscaping. Bids for this phase had been requested and work was estimated to begin soon with the removal of old sidewalks and curbs.

Shaded rest areas with benches and pools, patterned pedestrian crosswalks and a new traffic pattern would highlight the shopping district.

Later in the week, a ceremony was held for the “Operation Progress” downtown project on Wednesday, April 25. City crews planned to begin removing concrete gutters, curbs and sidewalks from Tooele’s downtown district on Monday, April 30, according to Mayor Robert Swan.

The ceremony on April 25 signaled the start of “Operation Progress” which, when finished in approximately 120 days, would give a new look to the city’s shopping district.

April 27-30, 1948

Mrs. Evelyn Maxine Curry Dunyon, age 36, mother of five children, was stabbed to death by her estranged husband, Charles Newton Dunyon, age 41, who also stabbed himself to death immediately following the murder.

The double death took place in the home of the daughter Mrs. Colleen Sample, at Tod Park on Thursday, April 23 about 2:44 p.m. a few minutes after the daughter had arranged a meeting between her parents at the “request” of her father.

The couple went into the bedroom to talk privately, and the daughter heard her mother scream and on entering the room saw her bleeding profusely and the father sitting on the bed with a hunting knife in his hand.

Later in the week, Claude Wilson, clerk in Fred Shelton’s beer parlor at Stockton, was arrested by Sheriff C.A. Hymas on a charge of selling beer to minors.

The arrest of the minors was made by the Tooele police, and a case of beer was found in possession of the minors, who are reported to have confessed to the place of purchase, according to Sheriff Hymas. 

April 27, 1923

Within the next week, the official information had been given out, the Tooele Smelter would start up another blast furnace—making four in all to be in operation.

This was good news for the business concerns of Tooele and its people for this will necessitate the employing of 40 additional men who will come in from the outside, as all available men in our city are now employed.

The smelter officials welcomed any laborers who wished to seek employment at the plant.

Werner Fernau who was employed in the testing department of the Tooele Smelter was gassed while at work on a Friday. His condition became serious Saturday night and he was taken to Salt Lake City for Hospital care. He was much improved on Saturday and would soon be able to return to work.

Correspondent Mark Watson compiled this report


Mark Watson

Sports Editor at Tooele Transcript Bulletin
Mark directs all editorial coverage of sports in addition to reporting on a wide range of events from high school football to international racing. He has a wealth of journalism experience, having worked for four other newspapers in the state. Mark grew up in Tooele County and graduated from Grantsville High School and Brigham Young University.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>