Tooele Transcript Bulletin – News in Tooele, Utah

July 6, 2017
In 1992, county gets immediate criticism for landfill move

The Tooele Transcript Bulletin has published Tooele County news since 1894. Here is a flashback of local front-page news from 25, 50, 75 and 100 years ago that occurred during the second week of July.

July 7-9, 1992

On July 7, Tooele County was in the process of searching for a new location for a landfill. A proposed site near Bauer drew criticism from some county residents.

Tooele County Engineer Raymond Johnson said property owners had not even been notified of the county’s interest in building a landfill near Bauer when objection letters started rolling in.

The Stockton Town Board wrote: “Our concern stems from rumors … We feel a much better place for the landfill would be the West Desert where a waste corridor has already been established.”

Tooele City Mayor George Diehl wrote: “… Geologists tend to believe that underground water moves from south to north or from southeast to northwest. From this, the argument can be made to best place the landfill downstream from Tooele — northwest of the city.”

Later in the week the front page featured a story on the popularity of Rush Lake in Stockton for windsurfers and boaters.

Although the lake had been an attraction for all kinds of recreational water sports in recent years, a continual decrease in water levels had some boaters, water skiers and jet skiers looking to other lakes for recreation.

“The popularity of the lake is still up, although the drop in water levels are just now starting to effect it,” said Tooele County Commissioner LeLand Hogan, who owned land still covered with lake water.

July 7-9, 1967

Only one accident was reported during Tooele’s Fourth of July celebration, according to Sheriff Fay Gillette.

The mishap occurred when rodeo rider Roy Garcia was mauled by a dehorned Brahma bull, but was not seriously injured.

Gillette reported that the day was free of traffic accidents. He said there was only one small brush fire to trouble firemen during the day.

Statewide, there were nine deaths on July 4. There were four drownings, two traffic fatalities, two burn victims and one from an accidental shooting.

Later in the week, the front page reportred that new sand filters for the Tooele Municipal Pool had been set in place in the basement of the pool, but little had been done to connect them up to the water filtration system.

The job was scheduled to be completed months earlier, but a labor strike troubled the firm of Higham and Hilton, which had the contract for the filters.

The strike had finally been settled and the firm had been trying ever since to catch up on a backlog of work.

“Unfortunately, we must be on the bottom of the list in priority,” said Glen Paskett, pool custodian.

July 7-10, 1942

The Tooele City Council approved three new subdivisions during a city council meeting.

An official letter was sent to the war department at Washington D.C. requesting the immediate construction of 232 houses. The request was for 30 permanent houses and 202 of the movable pre-fabricated type to take care of the acute housing shortage caused by Tooele Army Depot  before winter set in.

The Tooele Highlands subdivision located south of East Vine street and west of Broadway in the former Doremus field, had 110 building lots platted. Another subdivision had 57 lots platted, and a third showed 25 lots platted.

The new houses would be available for civilian employees at the ordinance depot once it was completed.

Later in the week, the front page announced that a grazing inspection would be made in the Stansbury Mountains.

Sportsmen and cattlemen were invited to join the inspection tour, which would start on Sunday at 7:30 a.m. from the ranger station in South Willow Canyon.

It was estimated by a count made during the previous winter that 5,000 deer were ranging in the Stansbury section from Willow Springs to Timpie, while the same area had permits for 1,300 sheep and 1,500 cattle.

July 6, 1917

The Transcript Bulletin front page featured a story about a riot during June in East St. Louis, Illinois.

Police reported that at least 100 people had been killed by a mob, and that there had been property loss worth $3 million as a result of a fire.

The outbreak was a result of numerous encounters between whites and African Americans in this section.

The National Guard of Illinois was sent to the scene and in an attempt to control the riot. It was reported that the National Guard quelled the situation.

Staff Writer Mark Watson compiled this report.

Mark Watson

Sports Editor at Tooele Transcript Bulletin
Mark directs all editorial coverage of sports in addition to reporting on a wide range of events from high school football to international racing. He has a wealth of journalism experience, having worked for four other newspapers in the state. Mark grew up in Tooele County and graduated from Grantsville High School and Brigham Young University.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>