Fire investigators have determined a candle in a closet was the cause of a fire that destroyed a Stansbury Park home Tuesday.
Ryan Willden, public information officer with the North Tooele County Fire District, said investigators traced the cause of the two-alarm fire to a candle brought into the master closet of the home at 205 Lakeview by a child.
The candle caught some clothes in the closet on fire, and spread upwards until it got into the attic, he said, which provided the blaze with optimal conditions for growth.
The fire, sparked Tuesday morning a little after 9 a.m., destroyed the home, causing roughly $350,000 in damage, but all four occupants of the house and the family’s dog were able to escape unscathed.
A GoFundMe account has been set up for monetary donations for the family at gofundme.com/i3w2ts, and donations of clothing and other goods are also being collected by a neighbor.
Donations sought include men’s size large shirts and size 9.5 shoes; women’s size medium shirts and size 6.5 shoes; boy’s size 5 clothing and size 10 shoes; girl’s size 3T clothing and size 6 shoes; and toys and food for the family’s German Shepherd.
Donations can be dropped off to 261 W. Holland Drive, according to a Facebook post in the Stansbury Park Residents Group.