Tooele Transcript Bulletin – News in Tooele, Utah

January 15, 2013
Man arrested for allegedly hitting grandmother, driving drunk

A Grantsville man has been arrested and charged for allegedly hitting his grandmother with a baseball bat and driving her car while drunk.

On Jan. 9, officers from the Grantsville City Police Department responded to a call regarding an intoxicated driver on west Clark Street. The driver did not stop when the police employed lights and sirens on the vehicle, and instead tried to flee, according to a probable cause statement. The statement included him driving through a mobile home park, where he hit several trash cans and narrowly missed a mobile home.

When the driver, 22-year-old Codie Wiss, reached a house that turned out to belong to his grandmother, he exited the vehicle, where the officers approached and arrested him. Wiss did not agree to take a field sobriety test, according to the statement, but allegedly smelled strongly of alcohol.

Once in custody, according to the statement, Wiss kicked one of the officers, bit the seats of the police car and kicked objects in the vehicle.

Officers determined Wiss allegedly hit his grandmother with a baseball bat and damaged her home in order to drive away in her vehicle, according to the statement, then driving the vehicle through the trailer court and area of Clark Street where he was reported. The statement did not specify the woman’s injuries or their severity.

Wiss was charged Thursday with aggravated assault, a third-degree felony; failure to stop or respond at the command of a police officer, a third-degree felony; joyriding or having unauthorized control of a vehicle for an extended time, a class A misdemeanor; assault against a police officer or military service member, a class A misdemeanor; and criminal mischief: intentional damage, defacement or destruction of property. He made his initial appearance in 3rd District Court Monday.

According to court records, Wiss was charged with third-degree felony assault last February, and pleaded guilty to a class A misdemeanor version of that same charge later that month. He was sentenced to 180 days in jail and two years of probation. Last September, according to court records, he was again arrested, thereby violating his parole, but his parole was reinstated.

Lisa Christensen

Staff Writer at Tooele Transcript Bulletin
Lisa covers primarily crime and courts, military affairs, Stansbury Park government and transportation issues. She is a graduate of Utah State University, where she double-majored in journalism and music, and Grantsville High School.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>