Tooele Transcript Bulletin – News in Tooele, Utah

September 4, 2018
Stallions rout Warriors

Stansbury's Young scores three rushing touchdowns 

by Tavin Stucki

Silas Young and the Stansbury Stallions were unstoppable on Thursday, beating Taylorsville 47-6.

“We changed up a few of our plays, running motion. We had a couple spots where we though they were weak, and got Silas loose on the edges,” Stansbury head coach Clint Christiansen said of the quick offensive start. “[Taylorsville was] crowding the middle, getting a lot of guys in the box.”

Young scored a 49-yard touchdown on the first offensive snap to give Stansbury a 7-0 lead, and the Stallions never looked back.

On the next possession, Taylorsville quarterback Steele Hess threw an interception to Stansbury senior cornerback Kooper Roundy, who returned it inside the 20-yard line. That play set up Young’s second touchdown carry of the night, a 3-yard rush to make it 14-0 with 3:56 left in the first quarter.

“We’ve still got some things we need to click on, but rolling over a 6A school like that is just something special,” Stansbury senior quarterback Austin Woodhouse said. “We know that we’re a special team, right now it’s just clicking. We’ve got a few more things to click on, but once we click on those, we’re going to be a team to reckon with.”

Seconds before the quarter ended, Stansbury came through on special teams. Taylorsville lined up to punt, backed deep in Warrior territory. An errant snap went over the punter’s head and rolled toward the Stansbury goal line, and Stallion sophomore Paepaeseu Tia scooped it up for the score.

The Warriors eventually lost the turnover battle 4-0. Hess threw another interception midway through the second quarter, which senior cornerback Conner Kincaid ran back 68 yards for the score to make it 34-0 with 4:51 left in the half.

“Just making those huge plays like that fumble recovery for a touchdown from the punt, and that pick-six that Conner [caught], today, those were just solidifications on those big fourth downs,” Young said of the big defensive plays. “They just really took the spirit out of Taylorsville and just gave more to us.”

Kincaid’s twin brother Kaeden Kincaid added another two touchdowns to the onslaught, catching a 35-yard pass from Woodhouse to go up by four touchdowns a minute and a half into the second quarter, then punched the ball in from eight yards out to make it 40-6 with a little less than eight minutes to go in the third quarter.

Now winless in three games this season, Taylorsville’s lone score of the night came as time expired in the first half. The Warriors drove from their own 33-yard line to down inside the 10. Stansbury was whistled for pass interference in the end zone, giving Taylorsville one last shot with two seconds remaining. Hess connected with receiver Zyen Toilolo from seven yards out to make it 34-6 after the kick was blocked.

“Defensively, I thought we played outstanding,” Christiansen said.

Stansbury racked up 260 yards of rushing in the game, despite possessing the ball for only 3:16 in the first half.

Young had three touchdowns on 13 carries for 88 yards, and Woodhouse chipped in another 50 yards rushing to go with his passing touchdown.

Stansbury linebackers Payton Didericksen and Jet Richins each had 10 tackles to lead the defense.

“We’re going to be a team that’s going to be a little dangerous here as we get clicking,” Christiansen said. “I’m proud of them. They did a good job tonight.”

Now 2-1 on the season with decisive victories in each of the last two contests, the Stallions will take on Mountain Crest at 7 p.m. on Friday at home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>