Tooele Transcript Bulletin – News in Tooele, Utah

August 29, 2019
Stansbury scores late, beats Utes in double OT

Stansbury senior Chloee Corbett’s hands were still shaking 10 minutes after Wednesday afternoon’s Region 10 girls soccer match against Uintah ended.

She didn’t show any sign of nerves when she scored the game-winning golden goal in the waning moments of double overtime, giving the Stallions a much-needed 2-1 victory over the Utes.

“I had all the other (opportunities) before that were right there, so I was like, ‘this has to be the one,’” Corbett said. “I think that was our game. We deserved that game. We pushed the whole match, the whole 80 minutes, and we knew that we were right there. We just needed the extra effort.”

Corbett got her opportunity with less than two minutes left when teammate Reagen Didericksen was fouled hard along the right sideline, earning Stansbury (3-2-1, 1-1-0 Region 10) a free kick. It also sent Uintah’s Brittain Wells, one of the Utes’ better defenders, to the bench with a yellow card.

But there was nothing Wells could have done on Corbett’s free kick, anyway. Corbett placed the ball perfectly into the upper left corner of the net from 40 yards out, as Utes goalkeeper Emily Eaton tried in vain to keep it out. 

“It’s just the placement — you have to calm down and you have to place it,” Corbett said. “I can’t tell you how many we’ve had, even in practices. We practice these set pieces, and when you finally get it, you can’t wait for it to happen in a game. Once it does, it’s such a good feeling.”

The goal gave the Stallions the result they felt they deserved, particularly with the number of scoring opportunities they had throughout the game. Corbett hit the post on a corner kick in the fifth minute, while Eaton robbed Didericksen with a diving save in the 13th minute. Silvestri, Samantha Coleman, Didericksen, Merissa Redington and Nahui Pankratz all had shots that just missed the target, and Gracey Hinton was stopped by Eaton on a shot early in the first overtime period.

It took until the 56th minute for Stansbury to get on the board on Danica Silvestri’s goal, but a handball in the 18-yard box gave Uintah a penalty kick two minutes later that Delaynee McKeachnie converted to pull the Utes (3-3, 2-1) even.

“They had chance after chance after chance,” Stansbury coach Spencer Call said. “They kept coming. We only had the lead for two minutes before they scored on kind of a bogus PK, but they just kept attacking. Everyone was in the right position, everyone was battling hard — it was really good soccer. I’m proud of all 18 of those girls who played today.”

As strong as they were offensively, the Stallions might have been even better on the defensive end. Uintah scored nine goals in its first two Region 10 contests, beating Juan Diego 5-2 and Tooele 4-3, but a disciplined defense paired with great goalkeeping from Ainsley Thurber kept the Utes at bay on Wednesday.

“We heard about how (the Utes) get through on missed touches, so we talked a lot about being strong on our defensive line and getting it out as soon as we can — not giving them any chances,” Corbett said.

The Stallions will have a busy week next week, beginning with a Tuesday-afternoon match at home against Ben Lomond. On Thursday, they will travel to Eagle Mountain to face Cedar Valley, which is off to a strong start in its first season.

“Our mantra’s just one game at a time — we don’t focus on anything else,” Call said. “We’d like to be 2-0 on our home field in region play, so that’s our goal: beat Ben Lomond. That’s what we’re looking forward to.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>