Emergencies don’t happen very often. But when they do, you want to get help fast.
Whether you need the fire department, the police or an ambulance, all you need to do is dial 911.
When you call that number an emergency operator called a dispatcher will assess the situation and send you the help you need The best way to handle an emergency is to be prepared before one happens. First, know your address and phone number.
Although you know you should never give your address and phone number to strangers, the dispatchers are different. These people are not strangers. They put in many long hard hours of training to be able to do their best to get you the help you need. Their main goal is to help you. In Tooele County the dispatchers are:
Lt. Regina Dekanich, Supervisor
Mike Paget, Lead
Shannon Sparks, Lead
Randi Gamble, Lead
Sharleen Manzione, Lead
Here are some suggestions to help you tell the dispatcher what they need to know to get you the help you need:
• Make sure your house number is clearly visible from the street.
• If you live in an apartment building, make sure your child knows the apartment number and which floor you live on.
• How many people are in the household?
• Are there special circumstances in your home? For instance grandma has cancer, or mom has a heart condition, etc.
• Are there any pets in the yard that they should know about?
• If you have to call 911 in an emergency, be sure to stay on the line. Do not hang up until the dispatcher tells you it’s OK. That way you can be sure they have all the information they need to get help as quickly as possible.
• If you happen to dial 911 by mistake, or you are programming a new telephone, DON’T hang up.
Stay on the line and explain the situation. Otherwise, they will send someone to check things out.
• Thanks to a Wireless enhanced 911 program, you can get help on your cellular phone for roadside emergencies.
Lt. Dekanich and her staff stay current with changes and upgrades that will make it possible for Tooele County residents to get the highest quality of service.