An exciting 2017 high school track and field season is set to come to a close this weekend at Brigham Young University, where the top athletes in Class 3A will compete in the annual state track and field meet Friday and Saturday.
A number of Tooele County athletes are among the top competitors in their respective events, and have high hopes of finishing on the podium — or, better yet, winning a state title. Here’s a list of the Tooele County athletes currently ranked in the top 10 in Class 3A:
• Stansbury sophomore Silas Young is ranked third in the boys’ 100-meter dash (11.10 seconds). He is also third in the 200 (22.26) and 10th in the 400 (50.90).
• Stansbury senior Casey Roberts is fifth in the 100 (11.12) and 200 (22.47) and fourth in the 400 (49.68).
• Stansbury senior Jamin Peacock is sixth in the 100 (11.13).
• Stansbury junior Josh Wintch is third in the 800 (1:58.00) and fifth in the 1,600 (4:27.71).
• Stansbury senior Douglas Woods is fifth in the 110 hurdles (15.62).
• Stansbury junior Jacob Medsker is sixth in the 110 hurdles (15.67) and fifth in the 300 hurdles (41.14).
• The Stansbury 4×100-meter relay team is ranked second (42.59). The 4×400 relay is fourth (3:27.27), and the medley relay is second (3:39.14).
• Grantsville junior Connor Ware is sixth in the shot put (48 feet, 5 inches) and seventh in the discus (136-1 1/2).
• Grantsville senior Gavin Eyre is fourth in the javelin (170-4).
• Stansbury sophomore Jay Mackay is eighth in the javelin (159-4).
• Grantsville senior McKay Lawrence is tied for second in the high jump (6-4).
• Grantsville senior Nathan Ault is 10th in the high jump (6-2).
• Stansbury junior Josh Jenkins is eighth in the long jump (20-8).
• Stansbury junior Sami Oblad is ranked first in the high jump (5-4), second in the 100 (12.48), third in the 200 (25.40) and second in the 400 (56.64).
• Stansbury sophomore Aubree Cheney is ranked seventh in the 400 (59.87).
• Stansbury freshman Kayla Alvey is ninth in the 300 hurdles (48.22).
• The Stansbury 4×100 relay of Cheney, Karlee Brandt, Samantha Bryant and Oblad is ranked third (50.47). The medley relay team is ranked third (4:21.70).