While six dogs located at two separate Tooele County locations were poisoned within a 25-hour period last week, Lt. Craig Wexels of the Tooele Police Department said there’s no reason to believe the incidents were related.
But Dr. Joe Roundy, a local veterinarian, said all six dogs were poisoned with strychnine. After opening the stomach of the two dogs that died, Roundy found a green weed that looked like gopher bait.
“It was definitely strychnine that killed the dogs,” Dr. Roundy said. “Strychnine is contained in gopher bait. It was probably placed inside hamburger or other food and tossed to the dogs.
It was 8 a.m. Wednesday when a Stockton family took four dogs to Roundy’s clinic.
“One dog was dead by the time it got to the clinic,” Roundy said. “The other three dogs were having seizures.”
Luckily, Roundy was able to save the lives of the three dogs.
He said all four animals had been housed in the same kennel at a residence in Stockton.
On Thursday at 9 a.m., two more dogs from a new subdivision in Tooele were taken to Dr. Roundy’s clinic. The veterinarian said those dogs had also been poisoned with strychnine. One dog died and Dr. Roundy saved the life of the other animal.
He said those dogs were owned by a family who lives on the east side of Tooele.
“A couple of months ago, I had another three dogs from the west side of Tooele brought to the clinic,” Roundy said. “One died and we saved the other two. The poisoning in those dogs was a little different — we proved that rat poisoning had been used on those animals.”
Roundy said pet owners should be aware of the poisonings and be on the lookout for anything suspicious.
“A dog that has been poisoned will usualy have seizures,” Roudy said. “We have only a 30 to 45 minute time period to save their lives if they have been poisoned.”
Roundy added that pet owners should also be on the lookout for any food items they have not given to their dogs.