Tooele Transcript Bulletin – News in Tooele, Utah

April 24, 2012
Wildcats defeat South Summit in soccer clash

Wendover’s soccer game against South Summit could best be described as a roller coaster of momentum. First they jumped on South Summit by scoring the first three goals of the game only to let South Summit back into the game with two goals and then Wendover was forced to play a man down after a red card.

Through it all though, Wendover never let South Summit tie the game and they managed to keep their lead throughout and hold on to a 5-3 victory Monday afternoon in Kamas.

Sergio Badillo and Eduardo George came up big for Wendover as they both scored two goals each in the victory while Wendover was also the beneficiary of an own goal scored by South Summit. Quinn Zimmerman, Brett Weller and Braxton Farmer each scored for South Summit in the loss. South Summit came out aggressive in the opening seven minutes as Pablo Carrascal and Harley Georgi each created scoring chances for South Summit but they couldn’t cash in right away.

Wendover on the other hand started the scoring right away as Badillo was able to outrun the defense in the eighth minute for a breakaway goal to give Wendover a 1-0 lead.

The opening goal just opened the floodgates for Wendover as Badillo struck again six minutes later as he was the recipient of a perfectly placed pass and onetimed the ball into the net for a 2-0 lead in the 14th minute. One minute later, Wendover was awarded a penalty kick after a foul by South Summit in the box and George knocked home the penalty chance for a 3-0 lead in the 15th minutes in what was shaping up to be a blowout.

The blowout never materialized as South Summit showed some fight after trailing by three goals. Zimmerman struck first for South Summit when he was able to get behind the defense and bury one into the net in the 17th minute.

One minute later, McKay DeGering used his flip-throw to launch a throw in into the box where Weller was there to finish it off to get South Summit within one at 3-2 and then disaster struck for Wendover. Adrian Badillo was shown a red card for Wendover one minute after South Summit brought the game within one, which made holding the lead even more of a challenge for Wendover. Even being down a man, Wendover was able to refocus on defense and keep South Summit at bay. Antonio Escareno and Valentine DeSantiago did a solid job of keeping South Summit away from scoring a goal and Wendover received a little help just before the half. Off of a Wendover free kick, South Summit’s Ross Marchant inadvertently headed the ball into his own goal in the 40th minute to give Wendover a 4-2 lead at the half.

In the second half, South Summit was able to again pull within one in the 55th minute when they were awarded a penalty kick and Farmer whipped it into the left corner to get South Summit within 4-3.

South Summit had plenty of chances to tie the game but the best chance came when Gavin Hatch broke free of the defense and had a breakaway opportunity clank off the post in the 69th minute to keep Wendover up by a goal.

George applied the finishing touches for Wendover in the 74th minute when he was able to dribble through the defense and bend a shot into the goal from 22 yards out to give Wendover a 5-3 lead with only six minutes remaining. The game got a little chippy in the final minutes but Wendover was able to hold off South Summit to pick up the two-goal victory.

Wendover moved to 5-3 in the 2A Central Region and will next host St. Joseph Wednesday at 4 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>