A US Magnesium worker was injured in an explosion at the Rowley plant Friday.
The worker was casting metal when a chemical reaction inside a casting hood caused some metal to blow out, said Tom Tripp, technical services director at US Magnesium.
Bucky Whitehouse, director of Tooele County Emergency Management, said Tooele County Dispatch was paged about the incident at 9:51 a.m., and assisted US Magnesium emergency responders until the 29-year-old man was flown to the University of Utah Burn Unit for thermal burns to his hands and face.
Tripp said the man was allegedly not wearing the gloves he was supposed to be wearing for that particular task.
The last industrial accident at US Magnesium occurred June 3, when a man casting magnesium ingots suffered thermal burns to his head and upper torso area in an explosion, as well as burns to his respiratory system from inhaling superheated air.
According to information from the Occupational Health and Safety Administration, the federal investigation into the June incident was not completed as of press time.
Another incident, in February, injured two employees when a furnace used to bake magnesium chloride exploded. An OSHA investigation into that incident found two safety violations, resulting in a total fine of $10,000 to the company.